Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Chaplain Disaster

No, not "Captain Disaster." That's Chaplain. I really just wanted the cool jacket. You know, with the huge neon letters on the back?

One of the most important times of my life was when I realized that God called me to His service. First as His Sunday school teacher, and then as chaplain for disaster. The training that I received was wonderful starting with attending the Site in NY of the Trade Center just after 9-11. I had the opportunity to go 4 times during October-December. I will never forget these days and the friendships that were bonded.
I often tell people that this was my Gettysberg equivalent. I know that as tears were shed, my presence meant something to those people. What an honor wearing the name Billy Graham disaster relief tag. It was Samaritan's Purse that we were part of in those days. Billy's name opened doors and got us to the site in order to listen and heal. I was with people from every nation as they grieved. I will never forget the little 8 year old boy who looked up at me as I was counselling the whole family. He thought I was finally going to answer his question, "WHY did this happen?" His father was a window washer and was now unemployed. We gave them free toys that Christmas, and they had to check in with us as we explained the Hope of Jesus at Christmas. There were language barriers. Some of the maids and porters and window washers were from Haiti, Dominican Republic and many other Hispanic nations. I so wished I had retained more of my Spanish, and kept up with it. What little language that I retained amused a few people in NY in a dark time. And I do amuse people no matter how dark it gets.

I never did get that jacket with the Chaplain on the back. Maybe next disaster.

1 Comments:

At 11:08 PM, Blogger Russ Reaves said...

Hi Mary -- you posted a comment on my blog about podcasts earlier today. I have posted a response to it and you can check it out at http://russreaves.blogspot.com/2006/03/podcasts.html

Thanks for leaving a comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home