Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy Birthday America

Image hosted by Webshots.com
by janeloughney

During all the flag holidays, and especially this one, I determine to spend time meditating on and learning more about all that happened in the lives of those who sacrificed so much to give us the nation that I have enjoyed these past 50 years. What were their motivations? I know what Book they read, and from the values that they held, many of them knew the God of Salvation, the Lord of second chances, the Author of Freedom. When they read the Book of Esther, did they take the words to heart of Esther's uncle, "perhaps you were born for such a time as this?"
Oh to be in on the beginning of something Great. They must have known. The human spirit can sacrifice and endure much in the light of holy purpose. I have a collection of books, and one of my favorites is "Killed in Action" detailing the last words and heroic actions of the Northern Soldiers of Gettysberg. Many knew Jesus as their Savior. Many left comforting words for their loved ones.

Being from Philadelphia, fiercely proud of living in the area of the turning points of both the Revolutionary War and the Civil War, I sense these struggles in an almost spiritual way. My brother just asked me why I specialize in the Civil War. I don't know. I have vacillated from one war to the other through the years. Even during the same holiday span. Driving in the area, I am especially drawn to the stones in the pre-civil war houses, imagining who chose the stones and who laid them in that pattern. There are a few things written about local history and I devour what I can find. Fascinating to read first person accounts of what happened right here where I live. There were a few skirmishes near here and I can hardly drive those roads without thinking of the people who lived here in that day and how they felt as they heard the cannon and gun fire. Here is a springhouse where a Hessian baby was born, and here is where they buried the enemy soldiers where they fell. This farmer used their headstones as a floor to his spring house and a back plate to his fireplace. Here is where a farmer found cannon balls 50 years later in his field. Here is where George Washington planned this battle, and where General Lafayette stayed when his leg was broken at the defeat of the Battle of Wayne. He was 16 years old at the time! The fog that I drive through to get to work is in an area where the fog affected these men too. Whitemarsh still tends to be foggy certain times of the year. I believe that the Lord used the fog at the Delaware Crossing that Christmas night to cloak the men and boats as they made their trips across to defeat the British at Trenton.

An especially thin place (where the veil between the worlds seems thin) for me is at Washington's Crossing State Park, McConky's Ferry. I have spent some time speculating there on the Great First President, sat in the same house where he had dinner that Christmas Eve. All accounts of this man tell us that he was very much in control of himself, his horse and his men. He had a "take control" attitude that demanded respect and admiration. One was compelled to follow this great man. Details are still being recovered by historians about all of the many facets of General Washington, but especially his spiritual life. I am looking forward to meeting him.
Image hosted by Webshots.com
by
Image hosted by Webshots.com
by marydonnabaralt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home